[Vm-dev] [Pharo-dev] [ANN] PharoNOS

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 13:37:08 UTC 2017

On 20 March 2017 at 23:57, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

> > On 20-03-2017, at 2:48 PM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Jan,
> >>
> >> On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 1:46 PM, jan.struz <public+pharo at struz.cz>
> wrote:
> >> Hi Stef,
> >> what I want, is NativeBoost for Pharo 5+. Because we could do this:
> >>

> > Can you not use the new UnifiedFFI which uses the ThreadedFFIPlugin at
> the bottom level?
> >

> Not to mention that native boost excludes ARM cpus. Which are the most
> numerous by quite a large factor...

we've got ARM assembler in pharo. We even got virtual CPU that depending on
platform could generate ARM/X86/x64 code
and then we got working alpha version of nativeboost that was using it.
but then everything vent to /dev/null since nobody wants to maintain it and
keep working on it, including me, of course.
and i get tired advocating to people why it is so cool being able to
directly control your hardware. They prefer to rely on C,
even in places where C is completely inadequate for their tasks (like the
above example with using privileged instruction(s))

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.