[Vm-dev] [Pharo-dev] ./pharo --help returns exit code 1 on ubuntu

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Sun May 7 01:05:43 UTC 2017

[CC vm-dev]

On Sat, May 6, 2017 at 7:04 PM, K K Subbu <kksubbu.ml at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday 05 May 2017 02:11 PM, Andrei Chis wrote:

>> ./pharo -help
>> unknown option: -help
>> Common <option>s:
>>   --help                 print this help message, then exit
>>
>> Then `./pharo -help` returns an exit code of 1 on mac/linux while
>> `./pharo --help` returns a exit code of 0 on mac and 1 on linux.
>>

> It is --help on Pharo and -help on other compiles (see below). Can anyone
> shed light on the legacy compatibility comment in :
>
> ---- platforms/unix/vm/sqUnixMain.c ----
> 1421   /* legacy compatibility */            /*** XXX to be removed at
> some time ***/
> 1422

Looking just at just the file, it appears this is comment is strongly
associated with the code below,
but git blame [1] indicates the comment is 7 years old, while the code
below is 7 months old.  ???

[1]
https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/blame/995e7aedc3b5aeb76904f92abbd8a7a1bcf8138f/platforms/unix/vm/sqUnixMain.c

cheers -ben