[Vm-dev] [Pharo-dev] ./pharo --help returns exit code 1 on ubuntu

K K Subbu kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Sun May 7 02:54:31 UTC 2017

On Sunday 07 May 2017 06:35 AM, Ben Coman wrote:
>     ---- platforms/unix/vm/sqUnixMain.c ----
>     1421   /* legacy compatibility */            /*** XXX to be removed
>     at some time ***/
>     1422
>

> Looking just at just the file, it appears this is comment is strongly
> associated with the code below,
> but git blame [1] indicates the comment is 7 years old, while the code
> below is 7 months old.  ???

Thanks for moving this thread to vm-dev.

The latter code probably tried to get options to conform to unix
convention of using single dash for single letter options and double
dash for word options for all its applications. This convention applies
to unix apps but need not apply to virtual machines like qemu-* or
squeak*. Both these VMs use single dash for all their options.

I feel it is fine to stick to single dash for all squeak options but
have the code accept both single and double dashes as prefixes. Generate
strictly but accept liberally. All our scripts will use single dash, but
if someone types in double-dash due to habit, the VM will recover
gracefully.

Esteban? What do you think?

I can generate a patch to fix this, if there is a general consensus on
this list.

Regards .. Subbu