[Vm-dev] Looking for resources explaining Spur GC

Yuriy Tymchuk yuriy.tymchuk at me.com
Mon May 8 09:16:44 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,

I am assisting in teaching a compiler construction course in the University of Bern. On the last lecture students learned about the basic ideas of garbage collection which was exemplified on Pharo/Squeak. However I found the slides a bit outdated as they explained mark and sweep as well as basic tenuring. To my knowledge Spur is more complicated as it has the scavenger garbage collector, has multiple generations of objects, etc. Is there any presentation of a paper describing how GC works in Spur? Because some students want to learn more (as well as myself).

Also excuse me please if I wrote something stupid :) I’m not an expert in VMs, but I want to learn.

Cheers.
Uko