[Vm-dev] Failing win64x64 builds - undeclared identifier 'PATH_MAX'

Alistair Grant akgrant0710 at gmail.com
Mon May 15 14:28:14 UTC 2017

Hi Ben & Eliot,

On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 01:30:36AM +0800, Ben Coman wrote:

> On Sat, May 13, 2017 at 11:28 AM, Eliot Miranda
> <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Ben,
> >
> >     can you tell me what path-related limits limits.h does define on
> >     win64?  e.g. there should be something like POSIX_PATH_MAS or
> >     XOPEN_PATH_MAX, and if neither of these is available, and
> >     nothing else looks relevant we can define a default.  I already
> >     put in a default; see
> >     platforms/Cross/plugins/B3DAcceleratorPlugin/sqOpenGLRenderer.c
>
> I see that here https://git.io/v9QbB and the error disappears in
> https://ci.appveyor.com/project/OpenSmalltalk/vm/build/1.0.665
>
> > But can we do better on win64/win32?
>
> I found  _MAX_PATH in <stdlib.h> at "Path Field Limits" for MSVC
> here...  https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/930f87yf.aspx
>
> but I'm not sure how that relates to Cygwin.  I see PATH_MAX defined
> in "limits.h" here...
> https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-patches/2005-q1/msg00084.html
>
> cheers -ben

Did you agree on a solution for this?

I'm getting close to finishing the FileAttributes plugin discussed in
the "Extending primitiveDirectoryEntry" thread and have also realised
that PATH_MAX = 260 on win32.  The plugin also uses the unicode versions
of the windows function, so should work with paths up to 32k characters.

Thanks,
Alistair