[Vm-dev] [OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm] ca7e8d: Change platform sources to refer to _WIN32 & _WIN6...

K K Subbu kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Wed May 17 05:01:07 UTC 2017

On Wednesday 17 May 2017 03:50 AM, GitHub wrote:
> Change getSystemAttribute: 1005 (the Windowing system name) to answer 'Windows'
> insrtead of 'Win32' (we are stuck with answering 'Win32' on 'Win64' unless we
> want to break /lots/ of image platform-dependent code).  If this breaks things
> then we'll have tio revert.  But fingers crossed it is not a problem; there are
> no uses of 1005 assuming other than 'X11' in a base Squeak image.

As a app (i.e. not a driver), vm deals with OS through APIs. Therefore,
I feel it is better to retain 'Win32' and return 'Win64' for 64-bit. If
it breaks code in 64-bit image, we can fix it in the image since 64b
images are relatively new. Changing 'Win32' to Windows may break old
images already in production :-(.

Regards .. Subbu