[Vm-dev] Debugging Win64 Cog Spur

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu May 25 00:38:56 UTC 2017

Hi Nicolas,

    the VM gets quite far before some unknown problem in path name
manipulation.  I'm drunning the debug VM under gdb via
(gdb) run -trace=259 trunk50-64.image
(See Cogit>>sendTrace: for a definition of the flags)

and this is the output

UnixFileDirectory class>pathNameDelimiter
Array(Object)>at:
BlockClosure>value:
AcornFileDirectory class>isActiveDirectoryClass
SmalltalkImage>getSystemAttribute:
ByteString(String)>isString
ByteString(ArrayedCollection)>size
ByteString(ArrayedCollection)>size
SmallInteger>=
Array(Object)>at:
BlockClosure>value:
MacFileDirectory class>isActiveDirectoryClass
MacFileDirectory class>pathNameDelimiter
Character>=
Array(Object)>at:
BlockClosure>value:
DosFileDirectory class(FileDirectory class)>isActiveDirectoryClass
DosFileDirectory class>pathNameDelimiter
DosFileDirectory class(FileDirectory class)>primPathNameDelimiter
Character>=
FilePath class>pathName:
FilePath class>pathName:isEncoded:

Alas there's no debug information to be had:

(gdb) where
#0  0x00000000000008d4 in ?? ()
Backtrace stopped: previous frame identical to this frame (corrupt stack?)

So my next step is to put a breakpoint for the selector
#pathName:isEncoded: and step from there.

(gdb) b warning
Breakpoint 1 at 0x4015d9: file ../../spur64src/vm/gcc3x-cointerp.c, line 44.
(gdb) run -breaksel pathName:isEncoded: trunk50-64.image
The program being debugged has been started already.
Start it from the beginning? (y or n) y
Starting program:
/cygdrive/z/oscogvm/build.win64x64/squeak.cog.spur/builddbg/vm/Squeak.exe
-breaksel pathName:isEncoded: trunk50-64.image
[New Thread 4080.0x5ec]
[New Thread 4080.0xb30]
etc...

best, Eliot