[Vm-dev] Recreating live coding in CPython 3.5

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Oct 11 15:06:59 UTC 2017

On Wed 11. Oct 2017 at 16:27, Dimitris Chloupis <kilon.alios at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I am talking about beyond those obvious features that Python has them
> covered is there anything special the Cog VM is doing live coding wise that
> I am not aware of ?

Instance enumeration, the become operation, and reified stack frames are
features that set Smalltalk apart and enable many of its live coding
capabilities. Cog supports these features. Cog was specifically designed to
allow fast stack operations in the normal case while still allowing frame
manipulation. Spur was designed to make "become" fast, it used to be very
expensive.

- Bert -