[Vm-dev] Recreating live coding in CPython 3.5

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 20:01:33 UTC 2017

> On Wed, 2017-10-11 at 21:49 +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> > > add
> > >
> > > I don't think become: is essential. Smalltalk/X for instance does
> > > not
> > > use #become: yet it still provides live coding (in my opinion).
> >
> > Do you know how instances are reshaped without become in Smalltalk/X?
>
> Yes, it's very simple: they are not reshaped at all :-)
>
> Jan

Then does that mean that
- classes are not mutated, but that a new one is created, and old objects
are still pointing on old classes,
- or that mutation is forbidden as long as instances or sub-instances exist
(like in Smalltalk V if I remember)
- or that one may expect catastrophic consequences when reshaping?
Nicolas