[Vm-dev] [ANN] Lowtalk, a new Smalltalk dialect that could eventually replace Slang

Jimmie Houchin jlhouchin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 03:58:49 UTC 2017

Thanks for the reply.

On 09/05/2017 05:35 PM, Ronie Salgado wrote:
> Hello Jimmie,
>
> On ESUG I only presented it for the innovation award. There is no
> scientific paper on Lowtalk itself yet, because most of the work on
> this front end is recently. I am probably submitting.
>
> There is still the possibility on changing the syntax and some of
> mechanism that are used in Lowtalk, Currently I am showing what is
> possible to do.
>
>     What do you believe the best mailing list to list ask questions at
>     some point in the future?
>
> This is a good question. Currently I do not know. This is an early
> work, and there is still a lot more to do. We now have to discuss
> about how to proceed. I have to discuss properly with Eliot about how
> to keep proceeding. I am reusing some of his techniques for
> implementing some parts such as the stack to context mapping, and
> immediates objects.

Maybe it is unique enough that it would need its own mailing list at
some point. Unless it became potentially a part of Pharo and thus
suitable for pharo-dev.

> Lowtalk is currently Pharo only, and it is completely standalone from
> the OpenSmalltalk VM. However, I am going to make a backend for
> Lowtalk that uses Lowcode to be able to use it inside the current
> image environment. Both use cases are interesting:
> - standalone executables for embedding and soft realtime (videogames).

Would this also be a good way to do mobile, iOS and Android apps?

> - keeping the current VM and reusing the in-image environment allows
> to use the full power of the Pharo/Squeak environment. In this case,
> Lowtalk can be used for getting a performance boost in numerical
> intensive software loops (e.g: matrix multiplication, typically an
> O(n^3) algorithm), without having to resort to the FFI for calling
> externally compiled C code.

I am definitely interested in this. I am interested in arrays of numbers
and doing calculations on those numbers. I was thinking that I would be
needing to code this in C and call from UFFI. I read your message and I
thought that it meant I could code in Lowtalk and then call the new
library via UFFI.

So, what I understand here is that I can code in Lowtalk for the Lowcode
backend and not require UFFI? At least at some point in the future. That
sounds awesome.

> I want to use Lowtalk in Woden 2 exactly for the second use case.
> Currently in Woden 2 I am using the language described in the Lowcode
> paper. Because the type system introduces dependencies on the
> compilation order, it does not behave well with Monticello which I had
> to patch in Woden 2. With Lowtalk I am solving that problem by using
> standard text files, and multiple semantic analysis passes over the
> AST to define circular types lazily. for example:
>
> Structure named: #LinkedListNode slots: {
>  #next => (LinkedListNode pointer).
>  #value => (Void pointer)
> }.

Ok. I was confused in my brief look at GitHub as to whether we were
programming in the image on with a text editor.
It would be nice if at some point it could be done from the image. Even
if it is a with a new editor (possible from the new moldable work)
understanding Lowtalk and tools to do compilation.

Possibilities are interesting.

Thanks again. I look forward to seeing what happens.

Jimmie