[Vm-dev] [Pharo-dev] Image crashing on startup, apparently during GC

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sun Apr 1 01:19:44 UTC 2018

> You are right, branch development is not compatible with versionning of generated code because it leads to unsolvable merge conflicts.
> So you legitimately raise the question https://stackoverflow.com/questions/893913/should-i-store-generated-code-in-source-control
> Whatever diverging opinions, the very first condition for automating code generation is to have reproducible artifacts (generated  code).

I don't like the idea of sticking generated code into an SCCS either - it just seems wrong and likely to mislead people that just don't get the idea of dynamically generated code - BUT against that is the reproducibility thing which a colossal issue for practical sanity.

Maybe I should offer a snippet that sticks a big warning as a comment in front of every single generated routine
"This code was generated from XXXX on DDDDDD:HHMMSS and should not be edited let alone edited and pushed back into SCCS"

Or alternatively, maybe changing the VMMaker to output its work in BrainFuck or Whitespace or some other machine-but-not-human readable form.... :-)

tim
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.