[Vm-dev] hiearchy of build stages

Fabio Niephaus lists at fniephaus.com
Mon Apr 2 16:05:46 UTC 2018

Hi all,

On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 3:36 PM Nicolas Cellier <

> Agree,
> you see, now it's win32 pharo.cog.spur.lowcode which triggers the gcc error
> https://ci.appveyor.com/project/OpenSmalltalk/vm/build/1.0.1209
>
> It's like I will need the whole day with error/retry to make some green
> status back (or it's presomptuous).

>> Hi Nicolas,
>>
>> Good idea.  If the build order can't be controlled...  I thought
>> newspeak builds had been tagged so that they didn't cause the whole
>> job to fail.  Maybe sista, lowcode and v3 builds could be marked the
>> same?

At the moment, no builds are allowed to fail. But I'd agree that it make
sense to flag experimental builds as such.

>> Cheers,
>> Alistair
>>

>> On 2 April 2018 at 15:25, Nicolas Cellier
>> <nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > there are lot of jobs at each opensmalltalk-vm commit like
>> > https://travis-ci.org/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/builds/361159455
>> >
>> > some of these jobs are of vital importance beacuse candidates for
>> production, some have less because rather experimental (sista lowcode) or
>> backward compatibility (v3).
>>

>> > If ever it's technically possible, which I didn't check, could we agree
>> at least on the order of build stages so that we build candidates for
>> production first and at least know if commits have an impact on these?
>> > Currently, a single failure of experimental brand will cut the whole
>> feedback.

We can, of course, re-organize build stages at any time. When I introduced
build stages, I just wanted to have Linux builds first because Travis'
macOS environments are slower (they still are, but Travis has significantly
improved the situation in the meantime).
It makes sense to split builds into two the groups, stable and
experimental. However, I'm not sure if we want to keep grouping by
architecture at the same time because then we'd have 8 instead of 4 build
stages. Maybe we just need to split the Linux and macOS build stages into
Linux/macOS x Stable/Experimental and leave everything else as is?

Fabio