[Vm-dev] Fwd: explanations

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 14:42:08 UTC 2018

Hi All,

    this is an email from Esteban explaining his reasons for leaving vm-dev, forwarded with his permission.

> From: Esteban Lorenzano <estebanlm at gmail.com>
> Date: April 4, 2018 at 4:42:30 AM PDT
> To: Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>
> Subject: explanations

Hi Eliot,

Sorry I was not around yesterday when you pinged me.
I will try to explain here why I removed myself from OSVM.

First, this has nothing to do with my general appreciation of you and your work. You know I consider you my friend and of course I valour your work.

But (there is always a “but”): this is not working for Pharo and me.

I could point several things I consider problematic:

- the lack of a solid process that we may feel confortable.
- the conservative approach to change things.
- lack of communication.
- the “de facto” stagnation of most proposals (some times even trivial) that comes from Pharo world and the consequent degradation we see on pharo stability.

I think most of this problems come because there is a different culture that creates an impedance between the two ways of work.  Also, there is a subjacent rejection of Pharo that emerges as part of the culture of the vm-dev community that makes us not feel welcomed, nor our suggestions. And I’m not the only one to feel it, I’m just the last one to react.
I know, each time something like this is told, everybody "tear their clothes” saying that’s not true, but actions talk better than words and that’s the general (negative) feeling of people coming from Pharo trying to do VM.

And after seeing that the only response in list was an olympic “is all your fault, deal with it”, I decided it was enough for me.
So yes, I’m frustrated. I made a lot of efforts to come back from the fork, and now I wonder if I made the correct step, since as we say in Spanish “mejor ser cabeza de ratón que cola de león” (better be the head of a mouse than the tale of a lion).

But I’m no troll so instead starting a flamewar (in a moment where you are receiving an unfair attack from a sick guy… an attack btw you have all my solidarity) I just preferred to fade out.

cheers,
Esteban