[Vm-dev] VM Maker: ImageFormat-dtl.29.mcz

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 14:51:31 UTC 2018

Hi Subbu,

> On Apr 12, 2018, at 4:58 AM, K K Subbu <kksubbu.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thursday 12 April 2018 12:19 AM, Eliot Miranda wrote:
>> This is unreadable.  Either express it as a string or as a Slang
>> program; anything but this horrid mashup of nextPutAll:s and C
>> fragments :-(
>>

> The program itself is not needed. There is a file(1) utility to detect file types from file content based on pattern specs (aka magic file). Squeak can already generate this magic file (save in $HOME/.magic).

While we can't rely on a system having its file database up-to-date we can rely on our district containing a runnable version of ckformat.c.  So while what you say is v nice in an ideal world, I think we do need something like ckformat.c now we're on the cusp of a cleaving between the 32/64 compatibility world ushered in by x86_64.