[Vm-dev] GC

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Fri Apr 27 07:26:10 UTC 2018

On 26 April 2018 at 23:09, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Clément, Hi All,
>
>    I answered a question on Quora on GC recently and that same question
> was answered by Jon Harrop, who has taken a good look at GC performance.
> If you're not on Quora yet, let me encourage you.  This blog post is a good
> read:
>
> https://flyingfrogblog.blogspot.co.uk/2017/12/does-
> reference-counting-really-use-less.html
> <https://flyingfrogblog.blogspot.co.uk/2017/12/does-reference-counting-really-use-less.html?m=1>
>
> And in Jon's answer to the Quora question he mentions Staccato, A
> Parallel and Concurrent Real-time Compacting Garbage Collector for
> Multiprocessors https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/9770/
> fc9baf0f2b6c7521f00958973657bf03337d.pdf
>
> That's my reading for today.

What is the significance of Minimum Mutator Utilisation
and is a comparative value known for our compactors?

I thought this was interesting about the mark phase...
> each thread maintains its own thread-local fragment of the [mark-stack].

Do I understand correctly that the mark-stack is equivalent to the
grey-marked collection?

btw...
What support does Slang have for concurrent programming?

cheers -ben