[Vm-dev] [Pharo-dev] Minheadless trial

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Wed Aug 8 07:33:01 UTC 2018

On 7 August 2018 at 13:47, Esteban Lorenzano <estebanlm at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ben,
>
> Sorry for coming here so late, I didn’t see this thread before.
> I already have a working minheadless branch that was adapted to Eliot’s
> process.
> It was working for Pharo in Linux and Mac (Windows was ongoing but not
> finished, that’s why is not pushed).
>
> You can find this branch here:
>
> https://github.com/estebanlm/opensmalltalk-vm/tree/add-minheadless-vm

I'll have a look at it.

> Interesting part is that I didn’t tackled any of the issues you are
> working on, so the work is easily mergeable :)
>
> Cheers,
> Esteban
>
> Ps: with some changes in image, I’m using exclusively this VM since a
> couple of months and it works fine.

That is good to know.  So just to be clear...
even though its name indicates "headless", you are running a full graphical
Image?

I got more curious about the original announcement saying...
"minheadless is a VM variant that unifies a lot of the code for Windows,
Linux and OS X."

So here
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/183GnSKZSMSEgVQZ0Fqa7-vITqKSpAlW_AxnZKl7x048/edit?usp=sharing
I compare...
   find "platforms/Win32/vm" -exec wc {} \;
   find "platforms/Unix/vm" -exec wc {} \;
   find "platforms/Mac OS/vm" -exec wc {} \;
to...
   find "platforms/minheadless" -exec wc {} \;

and if nothing important has been missed it seems about 30% of the original
size.
I'd expect Ronie's effort to produce this should have a massive impact on
future maintainability.

cheers -ben

P.S. I excluded the following presuming its common before/after.
   find "platforms/Cross/vm" -exec wc {} \;
btw, its about half the size of platforms/minheadless.