[Vm-dev] compiling VM with MSVC

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 06:56:35 UTC 2018

Hi Nicolas,

On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 1:39 AM Nicolas Cellier <

> Last year, I've tried to compile opensmalltalk vm with MSVC but, it was
> not possible with 2017 edition...
>
> Good news, it seems that Mircrosoft made progress since then:
>

> https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/comments/399091/view.html?utm_source=newcomment&utm_medium=email
>
> MSVC can be interesting for a few things:
> - a relatively good debugger for the C world - I know, it's difficult to
> sell this to Smalltalkers :)
> - easier integration of native libraries than thru mingw
> - complementary set of compilation warnings (and runtime errors) to help
> polishing some corner cases of our code generator.
>
> Of course, without CMake, we're back to manually crafting a MSVC project,
> but it can pay when chasing hard bugs (which I was after last year).

At least Craig Latta, and maybe others, have adapted my makefiles to
compiling with MSVC. It should be possible to write the makefiles to select
the relevant compiler as an option.  There is nothing magic about those
project files and no reason why makefiles cannot drive a MSVC build.  In
fact, I've helped Ron Teitelbaum do just this for Terf.
best, Eliot