[Vm-dev] [Pharo-users] Unable to compile myself Pharo

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Tue Dec 11 12:45:33 UTC 2018

On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 at 20:24, Alexandre Garreau <galex-713 at galex-713.eu>
wrote:

> Sorry I don’t see the difference with what I did (and what is asked for
> GNU–Linux),

You had indicated you were following these instructions...
https://pharoweekly.wordpress.com/2017/02/23/building-pharo-vm-as-simple-as/
But you can see there has not been much activity in that repo for 12
months... https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-vm/commits/master
You need to build from this repo...
https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm

> except your instructions are for 64bits while my system is 32bits.

I missed that.  I presume you then adapted to do this instead...
$ cd opensmalltalk-vm/build.linux32x86/pharo.cog.spur/build

> Using the pharo.zip (32bits version I guess), and running “squeak
> pharo/Pharo7.0-SNAPSHOT-32bit-4121d0d.image” gives:

You seem to be trying to use the Squeak VM to run Pharo Images.  That is
undefined behaviour.
The Squeak VM and the Pharo VM are build from the same sources, but Pharo
links in several C libraries to reuse their functionality rather than
reinvent the wheel.

IIUC you shouldn't even get a "squeak" executable if you are building from
inside "pharo.cog.spur" but a "pharo" and/or "pharo-ui" executable, so I'm
confused
I'm on Windows so I'm not able to check exactly but from memory you should
be doing something like...

$ cd opensmalltalk-vm/build.linux32x86/pharo.cog.spur/build
$ ./mvm
$ cd dist
$ ./pharo     # or ./pharo-ui if that exists

cheers -ben