[Vm-dev] [OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm] FileAttributesPlugin: Add session Id (f6445ab)

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Fri Dec 28 15:08:12 UTC 2018

On Fri, 28 Dec 2018 at 02:13, akgrant43 <notifications at github.com> wrote:

> Note that I like to see the "messy" decomposed history where each change
> has a rationale attached in a separate commit message.
> Of course, erratic trial and errors may benefit from a little rewrite of
> history, but not a squash, it's too violent for my taste, more something
> like a rebase -i.
>
> I think maybe we're saying the same thing. Each commit in the main branch
> (Cog) should be single purpose and well documented, e.g. includes the
> rationale, which allows the reader to see the progression and consume the
> changes in small, understandable steps. I'm just suggesting one way to
> achieve that.
>
> Leaving a messy (i.e. something that includes a mistake) decomposed
> history can just lead to confusion, e.g. I recently didn't squash down one
> of my PR's. Because it had every intermediate commit one reviewer thought I
> had committed a plugin built from dirty code, when in fact a later commit
> in the PR used clean code.

I'm in full agreement.  Never a full squash, but trying to minimize the
noise of "whoops" commits,
or like for the Freetype-2.9.1 windows build I'm working on, experimenting
to understand differences between local and CI environment.

I support using `rebase -i`, but it can take a little practice, and there
seems some fear floating around of losing code.
`git commit --amend` is a milder form that is only able to affect the
previous commit.

cheers -ben