[Vm-dev] explicitly specify CI test images (was Re: minor errors in tests during socket timeouts)

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Mon Dec 31 01:24:28 UTC 2018

On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 at 07:45, Ben Coman <btc at openinworld.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 at 07:20, Fabio Niephaus <lists at fniephaus.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 at 12:07 am, Ben Coman <btc at openinworld.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I find the specification of the test image too implicit here...
> >>
> https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/blob/Cog/tests/smalltalkCI.sh
> >> For example, its hard to tell at a glance whether lowcode testing is
> enabled/disabled.
> >> Could the test image be explicitly defined in travis.yml ? (I'll submit
> a concept PR for review)
> >

> > Please do, happy to review a PR. The current version is still the very
> first version, I'm sure it can use some improvements :)

Here are my proposed changes...
https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/pull/331

Here it is a sample log of the first job...
https://travis-ci.org/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/jobs/473714437#L441
https://travis-ci.org/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/jobs/473714437#L9438

So the goal was that you can hover over the environment variables to easily
review the test configuration here...
https://travis-ci.org/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/builds/473714436

I'm not sure how the newspeak builds should be handled differently,
since they use an alternate test script from here...
https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/tree/Cog/tests

cheers -ben

btw, are we indeed not testing VMs on Windows?