[Vm-dev] Fwd: [Pharo-dev] Pharo 7 Repeatable crash: XIO: fatal IO error 14 (Bad address) on X server ":0"

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 15:08:06 UTC 2018

> On Feb 27, 2018, at 8:25 PM, Martin McClure <martin at hand2mouse.com> wrote:
>
>> On 02/25/2018 05:11 PM, Martin McClure wrote:
>>
>> I can reproduce the problem on the latest VM
>> (pharo.cog.spur_linux32x86_201802232356.tar.gz).
>>
>> The readily-reproducible problem isn't caught by GDB, the VM just
>> exits out from under GDB after printing
>>
>>   XIO:  fatal IO error 14 (Bad address) on X server ":0"
>>
>> But once I did get a segv instead of the usual error and exit. Stack
>> is below. I don't know when I'll have time to build a debug VM, and
>> don't know whether it would help given that the reproducible problem
>> isn't caught by GDB.
>>
>> Any more hints on how to diagnose?
>>
> I built a debug VM, and as expected running under GDB produced no new
> info, the process just prints the error and exits.

That's strange.  Can you put a breakpoint in write or exit so that gdb does stop rather than exit?  Martin, if I were trying t debug this I would be trying to get the error to occur within gdb said I could poke around.  I don't know any better way if solving problems like this than by first because no able to examine the exception in situ.  I get that it's frustrating but there's no magic bullet.  One has the keep trying until one can find out what caused the crash.