[Vm-dev] [Pharo-users] Running headless on Windows

Nicolai Hess nicolaihess at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 08:02:22 UTC 2018

>> Nicolai, the maximize/non-maximize trick worked! Thanks! I wonder if it's
>> an easy fix to put in Pharo.
>>

> So it means that something in image is not initialised. It can be another
> bug of wrong startup order

Maybe a problem on the image and the vm side.

Even in headless mode, starting pharo creates a window. Even if it is
hidden, it has some size.

Quit and Saving an image will write the current width/height into the image
file.

Starting the vm will create a window and set the size of the window to the
last size.
The window is always created in normal (not-maximized) mode and the
available size is a little bit smaller
than for a maximized window.

Now, the image checks for a change of the size of the current DisplayScreen
instance and the actual screen size.
If this is different (as in this case) a new DisplayScreen is initialized
which will call a full screen update (ioForceDisplayUpdate).

And this method will show a hidden (headless) image.