[Vm-dev] Moving simSelf into simStack and eliminating optStatus

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 01:47:19 UTC 2018

Hi Ronie, Hi Clément, Hi All,

    one poor design decision I made when writing
StackToRegisterMappingCogit was in keeping simSelf, the simulation stack
entry for the receiver, separate from simStack, the simulation stack
entries for the stack proper.  I'm now at a point where I want to get
RegisterAllocatingCogit working properly so that soon Clément and I can
merge it into the SistaCogit and get much improved register allocation for
Sista/Scorch.  So I'm starting by duplicating StackToRegisterMappingCogit
and making the changes in the city so I can verify that the existing one
and the new one without simSelf or optStatus generate exactly the same code.

First of all, is that ok with both of you?

Second, Ronie, in looking at ssFlushTo:nativeFlushTo: it seems to me that
it is only ever called with nativeIndex being supplied
from simNativeStackPtr.  If you agree with me that that is the case would
you object to me deleting ssFlushTo:nativeFlushTo: and
implementing ssFlushTo: to include LowcodeVM ifTrue: [self
ssNativeFlushTo: simNativeStackPtr]? This is a little cleaner,  We can
always make it more complicated later on if required, but right now I'd
like to keep things as simple as possible.

best, Eliot