[Vm-dev] musing on StackInterpreter FreeRTOS VM target

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat Jul 14 01:59:29 UTC 2018

Yes, this would be potentially very interesting. Small devices these days are so powerful they match fantasy engineering workstations of the early 90's. At least in principle it should be practical to run Squeak on an ARM SoC with 32Mb ram and anything better than 70MHz - hell, Eliot & I had the original ARM 1 at 4MHz and 4Mb ram running ST-80 in 1987, scoring near Dorado performance and it was *amazing*. A stackinterperet vm would be fine and easy to port (it's not like we lack experience at doing that) and you'd only need slightly bigger memory etc to make the Cog practical.

Craig has done lots of stuff around remote connecting and tiny images and building up what you need.

Find funding and go for it.

> On 12-07-2018, at 4:35 AM, Ben Coman <btc at openInWorld.com> wrote:
>

> Just sharing something thats been circling my head for a while
> about a possible OpenSmalltalk based IoT platform.

tim
Diagnostics are the programs that run when nothing else will.