[Vm-dev] VM Maker: VMMaker.oscog-eem.2347.mcz

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Mar 8 17:56:29 UTC 2018

> On 08-03-2018, at 7:57 AM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> but since we no longer include the processor simulator plugins in the standard vm builds, the VM obtained by
>     image/getGoodSpur[64]VM.sh
> won't allow simulating the CoInterpreter (the JIT), only the StackInterpreter.  So this needs to be fixed.
>
> I could build the processor simulator plugins and put them on my website or we could set up a build on the CI infrastructure.

I'd urge having them built by the autobuild stuff for consistency. It must surely be possible to have the built external plugins moved off to one side as part of that build? Then we'd 'merely' need a suitable link in the download page(s) to point to them for manual fetching and a stable address so that Eliot's build-vmmaker script can reliably find them.

In fact, having reliable URLs for any of the external plugins (strictly speaking any plugin, since we can over-ride an internal plugin if needed) would be interesting because then we could actually do what was originally intended with the "I can't find no stinkin plugin of that name!" error, which was to handle it by looking up on the net for a plausible version and installing it and restarting the operation. Maybe a mere 20 years later we can actually implement this?

tim
Oxymorons: Passive aggression