[Vm-dev] building plugins outside the tree

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 04:12:53 UTC 2018

Hi Subbu,

On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 12:02 PM, K K Subbu <kksubbu.ml at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone tried to build a plugin outside the vm tree?

Not easy, even if possible.  But it is straight forward to build an
external plugin separate from the VM.  e.g. look at how the external
plugins are built for each platform (a process driven from plugins.ext) and
invoke make in the same way, but specifying your plugin name.

> In a vm build, how do I generate the necessary header files and libraries
> to be able to build plugins later outside the source tree?

Not sure I understand the question.  All the include files are in the
platforms (platforms/Cross/vm & platforms/Cross/plugins/*/*.h) and relevant
source tree.  So if you look at the include paths for a build that'll give
you the relevant includes.  If you're building a plugin you *have* to build
different versions for V3 (the original pre-Spur VM), 32-bit Spur and
64-bit Spur.  So for example you'll see that src/vm/interp.h
spursrc/vm/interp.h and spur64src/vm/interp.h all differ slightly.  So,
other than writing a plugin-specific source file, e.g.
platforms/Cross/plugins/FilePlugin/FilePlugin.h) and
platform-and/or-library-specific include files, everything else should be
taken from the opensmalltalk-vm source tree.

TIA .. Subbu

HTH
best, Eliot