[Vm-dev] building plugins outside the tree

K K Subbu kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 18:15:15 UTC 2018

On Thursday 15 March 2018 11:36 PM, tim Rowledge wrote:
> `make` the plugin install the plugin in the appropriate vm related
> directory, which is a far more complex story than it should be.

Precisely! Making a plugin shouldn't be this hard. When I looked at the
build log, a large chunk of build time was taken up in making plugins -
one at a time :-(.

Once I install a developer version of Squeak VM, I should be able to
make a plugin without having to regenerate the entire multi-platform VM
source tree. As a bonus, the developer image can be used as a fallback
or bootstrap when no image is given.

Currently, plugin making process is like expecting a linux module
developer to install the entire linux kernel source tree just to build a
kernel module.

Regards .. Subbu