[Vm-dev] Blocking inappropriate posts to vm-dev (was: VM build questions from last board meeting)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Mar 27 23:29:13 UTC 2018

Changing the subject line in case follow up discussion is needed.

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 12:02:25PM -0700, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 3:13 AM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> >
> > The tone and wording of this post are not appropriate for this mailing list.
> >
> > As list admin, I have temporarily set the "moderate" bit on the poster's account.
> >

> Let's not be too precious.  I'm happy to debate him on this and it's important.

I put a "moderate" flag on a list poster who had sent what I perceived
to be a personal attack with abusive language and no meaningful factual
content. I did this not only because the post was inappropriate, but also
because abusive trolling can be harmful and distracting, and I thought
it better to hit the pause pause button sooner rather than later.

The vm-dev list has for many years been inhabited by talented and constructive
people who like to do good work, and who like to help others do the same.
I have quietly served as the list admin, and I have never had to deal with
any problem more serious than an accidentally oversized PNG attachment.
We should all be proud of that.

If anyone would like to see the messages that have been blocked so far,
I will be happy to forward them to private email. But unless the members
of this list say otherwise, I will leave them blocked.