[Vm-dev] travis linux package cache out of date?

Alistair Grant akgrant0710 at gmail.com
Tue May 15 15:55:12 UTC 2018

Hi Everyone,

Linux builds have been failing recently with error messages like:

E: Failed to fetch http://something.deb 404 Not Found [IP: 35.184.213.5 80]

I've seen these types of errors on my machine, typically when I forget
to run apt-get update before attempting to install or upgrade
packages.

@Rydier kindly provided some supporting evidence for the problem:

--
Error logs of linux builds for
https://travis-ci.org/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/jobs/378430866

I've created an experimental branch which appears to solve the problem:

https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/pull/261

However I would expect that the travis infrastructure should
automatically update build environments to ensure that the package
cache is up to date.

Can someone who is familiar with travis perhaps confirm that this is
the correct approach, or suggest a better alternative (one possibility
is that we keep this until the infrastructure is updated and then
revert it).

Thanks,
Alistair