[Vm-dev] Packaging 64-bit and 32-bit linux VMs

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed May 16 18:25:00 UTC 2018

Hi All,

    at today's board meeting we discussed the issue of packaging 32-bit and
64-bit linux VMs in the same directory hierarchy.

Right now a hierarchy looks like

Sisyphus.image$ ls -R ../products/sqcogspurlinux
bin lib squeak

../products/sqcogspurlinux/bin:
squeak

../products/sqcogspurlinux/lib:
squeak

../products/sqcogspurlinux/lib/squeak:
5.0-201705031421

../products/sqcogspurlinux/lib/squeak/5.0-201705031421:
B3DAcceleratorPlugin UnicodePlugin vm-display-null
ImmX11Plugin UnixOSProcessPlugin vm-sound-ALSA
LocalePlugin XDisplayControlPlugin vm-sound-OSS
SqueakFFIPrims squeak vm-sound-null
SqueakSSL vm-display-X11 vm-sound-pulse
UUIDPlugin vm-display-fbdev

What we need is either the 32-bit VMs to use lib32 or the 64-bit VMs to use
lib64, and then change the two squeak scripts to parse the command line to
locate the image and then check the image format to launch the right VM.

I'd do it but I have other things on my plate right now. If anyone feels
like volunteering I'm attaching some scripts.  sviver uses hexdump to print
the image version number, and so something like

IMVER=`hexdump -n 4 -e '"%u\n"' "$IMAGE"`

can be used to set IMVER to 68021 for the 64-bit Spur image, 6251 for the
32-bit Spur image, etc.

spurcfvm launches the relevant VM depending on its name (spurcfvm is hard
linked to spurcdvm spurcavm spur64cfvm et al to select a different VM).  It
parses the command line to locate the image.

And I'm including svihdr that prints info from the image header on both
64-bit and 32-bit Spur images in case anyone finds it useful.

best, Eliot