[Vm-dev] Packaging 64-bit and 32-bit linux VMs

K K Subbu kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Thu May 17 11:07:15 UTC 2018

On Thursday 17 May 2018 08:07 AM, David T. Lewis wrote:

> I am thinking in terms of a Unix (Linux) installation as I write this, but here
> is how it should work:
>
> - For a 64 bit Spur VM, the VM is invoked by /usr/bin/spur64 or /usr/local/bin/spur64.
>
> - There must be no name conflicts between /usr/local/bin and /usr/bin, and "spur64"
> above means "run the 64 bit Spur VM for a 64 bit image" regardless of whether it is
> in /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin or ~/bin.

I have a different take on this matter. bittiness is not just for the
main program but also on all its plugins, dependent libraries and data
files. Changing the name will also result in a cascade of changes in
launch wrappers and other user scripts.

Instead, what if we retain existing paths for 32-bit and just add
directories like bin64 or lib64 for the new 64-bit code? This only
involves changing $PATH and $LD_LIB_PATH.

Regards .. Subbu