[Vm-dev] <doNotGenerate> versus <simulation>

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Thu Nov 1 13:17:34 UTC 2018

On Thu, 1 Nov 2018 at 01:34, <commits at source.squeak.org> wrote:

> Eliot Miranda uploaded a new version of VMMaker to project VM Maker:
> http://source.squeak.org/VMMaker/VMMaker.oscog-eem.2480.mcz

> Name: VMMaker.oscog-eem.2480
> Author: eem
> Time: 31 October 2018, 10:33:03.858395 am
> UUID: bb3ffda7-8241-4dea-b886-d656e474b6c1
> Ancestors: VMMaker.oscog-eem.2479
>
> Simulator:
> Provide simulation stubs for the B3DAcceleratorPlugin C api.
>
> Item was added:
> + ----- Method: B3DAcceleratorPlugin>>b3dDrawArrays:_:_:_: (in category
> 'simulation') -----
> + b3dDrawArrays: handle _: mode _: minIdx _: maxIdx
> +       "int b3dDrawArrays(int handle, int mode, int minIdx, int maxIdx)"
> +       <doNotGenerate>
> +       ^false!

Not actually a request to change anything since <doNotGenerate> is a well
established convention,  but just sharing a thought that occurs to me
because I like to understand conventions rather than take them for granted.

For someone naively looking through the code for the first time,
<doNotGenerate> indicates what it "doesn't" but not what it "does"
and <simulation> might be more intuitive for newcomers to understand.

Its a question of which is better to be explicit and which implicit. Two
sides of the same coin...
<doNotGenerate> - explicit about code generation, implicit about simulation
<simulation> - explicit about simulation, implicit about code generation.

anyway...
cheers -ben