[Vm-dev] On community development of the VM's platform code...

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 19:07:55 UTC 2018

Hi John, Hi Sean,

On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 2:16 PM Sean P. DeNigris <sean at clipperadams.com>
wrote:

> johnmci wrote
> > "Fake mouse wheel events with all modifier keys pressed (not just ctrl)"
>
> I thought that looked familiar. I needed that change IIRC to enable
> horizontal scrolling in Pharo because there was a shortcut conflict.
> However, I got bogged down when I went to make the change in Windows and
> then got distracted. The reason I chose a more complex hack instead of a
> clean fix is because the solution seemed backward compatible so it didn't
> break Squeak et al.

I'm sure I speak for everyone in being very grateful for the code!  My
point is not to call either of you out on this specific issue & commit.  It
is rather to ask people to put more effort into commenting the platform
code.  It belongs to all of us but is not Smalltalk, is often
platform-specific, and crosses the boundary between platform and Smalltalk,
so it is complex and mysterious, and more commentary is very helpful.

Cheers,
> Sean

best, Eliot