[Vm-dev] On community development of the VM's platform code...

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Nov 8 19:33:07 UTC 2018

> On 2018-11-08, at 11:07 AM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm sure I speak for everyone in being very grateful for the code!  My point is not to call either of you out on this specific issue & commit.  It is rather to ask people to put more effort into commenting the platform code.  It belongs to all of us but is not Smalltalk, is often platform-specific, and crosses the boundary between platform and Smalltalk, so it is complex and mysterious, and more commentary is very helpful.

Exactly. Comments need to explain  why, why not, what is done, what is still needed someday, obscure points not necessarily obvious to a non-platform expert and so on. If possible point to the doc that explains it too. Yes, the code says what actually happens but anyone that thinks that 'actual' == 'needed' is likely to be very disappointed, very often.

tim
Useful random insult:- Not much to show for four billion years of evolution.