[Vm-dev] Simulating FFI Calls [was Re: VMMaker simulation - strlen, strcpy, getenv and FakeStdinStream]

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 18:03:34 UTC 2018

Hi Alistair,

On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 10:37 AM Alistair Grant <akgrant0710 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Eliot,
>
> On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 at 18:55, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 9:48 AM Alistair Grant <akgrant0710 at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> pointer to the start of an object.  When one passes eg a ByteArray through
> the FFI to a reference parameter  the marshaling code ends up passing a
> pointer to the start of the object.  That won’t work if what we want to do
> is simulate passing a pointer to the start of a simulation object that
> actually lives at an offset inside the large ByteArray that constitutes the
> entire heap in the simulation.  So we need to be able to express a
> ByteArray, offset pair and pass that through the FFI to a reference
> parameter and have the marshaling code end up passing the derived a pointer
> that is the start of the ByteArray plus the offset, and hence end up
> passing a pointer to the start of the simulation object in the large
> ByteArray that constitutes the entire heap.
> >>
> >> As a first step to get things going, couldn't we just copy the
> >> ByteArray's to and from the simulation memory?  It would obviously be
> >> much less efficient, but would reduce the number of pre-requisites to
> >> get started.
> >
> > Maybe, but I expect it is a very small change to marshaling to spurt
> this and has high value to the FFI in general
>
> Cool.  My assumption from the way you originally wrote this was that
> it would be relatively expensive to develop.

Taking a superficial look at the code I see this
in ffiAtomicArgByReference:Class:in:

(atomicType = FFITypeVoid or:[(atomicType >> 1) = (FFITypeSignedByte >>
1)]) ifTrue:
"byte* -- see comment on string above"
[(isString or: [oopClass = interpreterProxy classByteArray]) ifTrue:
"String/Symbol/ByteArray"
[^self ffiPushPointer: (interpreterProxy firstIndexableField: oop) in:
calloutState].
(oopClass = interpreterProxy classExternalAddress) ifTrue:
[^self ffiPushPointer: (self longAt: oop + interpreterProxy baseHeaderSize)
in: calloutState].
isAlien ifTrue:
[^self ffiPushPointer: (self pointerForOop: (self startOfData: oop)) in:
calloutState].
atomicType = FFITypeVoid ifFalse:
[^FFIErrorCoercionFailed]].
"note: type void falls through"

which could be extended, crudely, with

(oopClass = interpreterProxy classArray
and: [(interpreterProxy slotSizeOf: oop) = 2
and: [(interpreterProxy isWordsOrBytes: (obj := interpreterProxy
fetchPointer: 0 ofObject: oop))
and: [(interpreterProxy isInteger: (offset := interpreterProxy
fetchPointer: 1 ofObject: oop))
and: [(offset := interpreterProxy integerValueOf: offset) between: 0 and:
(interpreterProxy byteSizeOf: obj)]]]]) ifTrue:
[^self ffiPushPointer: (interpreterProxy firstIndexableFieldOf: obj) +
offset in: calloutState].

and something analogous could be done in ffiPushPointerContentsOf:in:,
which is sent via ffiAtomicStructByReference:Class:in:.  But simply passing
a derived pointer as a tuple of object, offset might be a poor design.  We
might want to add a specific class to the FFI, DerivedPointerArgument or
some such.  So I think the implementation is extremely cheap; it is the
design that vexes (HHGTTG: You haven't even invented the wheel yet!  Well,
no. Maybe you can tell us.   What color should it be?)

> > (think of trying to pass a field embedded in a struct; that's not yet
> possible; with derived pointers it is; the facility is generally useful).
> IME if one can find a simple more general solution to a problem than some
> other, then pursue that, even if its initial cost maybe higher because it
> will pay off better in the long run.
>
> I didn't mean to imply that it wouldn't be done, just that it may not
> be the first thing done (based on my incorrect assumption that it
> would be expensive to develop).
>
> Cheers,
> Alistair

best, Eliot