[Vm-dev] Why Aren’t More Users More Happy With Our VMs?

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Thu Sep 20 09:02:17 UTC 2018

Hi Todd,

> On 20.09.2018, at 10:28, Todd Blanchard <tblanchard at mac.com> wrote:
>

> I'm curious if anyone has seen this writeup on VM performance
>
> https://tratt.net/laurie/blog/entries/why_arent_more_users_more_happy_with_our_vms_part_2.html
>
> I found the article very insightful and was curious how we stacked up.
>
> Have written the author to ask about including us in future research.
>
> Cheers.
> -Todd Blanchard

I know the author  and share similar concerns.
In fact, for stuff we do here with RSqueak/VM and GraalSqueak, we pay attention to at least some of the concerns Laurie mentions.

Have a look at SMark, which tries to give a reasonable benchmark set set.

http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~StefanMarr/SMark

also, there's our benchmark runner that builds on SMark

http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/squeaksource/BenchmarkRunner.html

We also have a codespeed up here: http://speed.squeak.org/

Yea that does not all address the authors issues, but we try :D

Best regards
	-Tobias