[Vm-dev] Primtive 91/primCursorLocPut:

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Tue Dec 24 09:07:00 UTC 2019

On Tue, 24 Dec 2019 at 06:44, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

> Right now the HostWindowPlugin is almost unused. It was written ...
crikey, 15 years ago, as part of the sophie text/media-editor project with
the intention of finally quieting the constant whines about how Squeak had
to do host windows & menus etc or it would immediately fail and die away.

> Guess how many people actually did anything once we had the ability to
open many host windows and draw in them? Think of a very round number....

> Having said that, some of the functionality is integrated into the core
of the vm; the main (only!) window is at least in some platforms part of
the host window list. The prims for finding and setting window sizes,
positions and decoration stuff is used I think. Setting the window label
can be done with it.

> It needs better integration into the vm generally. It is my claim that no
window should be created until (and unless!) something is displayed, which
would make headless scripting/server operation considerably simpler. It's
how I always had it working on the RISC OS vm.

IIUC, Pharo has taken this to the extreme of having no windowing calls from
the VM.
i.e. In theory, "ALL" host windowing operations are done from the Image via
FFI, but I've yet to familiarize myself with the details to determine how
pure that statement is.
I'm not sure how that interacts with the HostWindowPlugin.  I'll ask.

cheers -ben