[Vm-dev] Pharo7 stock image shows a blank desktop in 64b (NixOS Linux)

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Sat Feb 23 16:21:14 UTC 2019

On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 at 21:20, Jose San Leandro <jose at sanleandro.me> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using the Nix package you mentioned, but in fact it's building the
> VM from scratch.
> If you take a look at the "derivation" (Nix jargon), you can see that it
> builds the VM using the standard autotools, plus:
>
> - The configure phase uses these modifiers: --without-npsqueak
> --with-vmversion=5.0
> - The make phase phase uses these CFLAGS: -DPharoVM -DIMMUTABILITY=1
> -msse2 -D_GNU_SOURCE -DCOGMTVM=0 -g -O2 -DNDEBUG -DDEBUGVM=0 and
> LDFLAGS: -Wl,-z,now
> - Uses the plugins.{ext,int} from cog.spur folder, verbatim.
>
> The dependencies are the ones in the list at the beginning of the file,
> and the "libs" variables in the "installPhase".
>
> However, I'll try that same package now that my "blank" desktop problem
> reproduces also in Pharo6 images. At first, I thought it was
> Pharo7-specific.
> I'm using tag pharo7.0.0 [2] of github's opensmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm.
> Could that be an issue? Should I use a different branch?

That should be the tag to run a Pharo 7 image,
but above I see `--with-vmversion=5.0` and not sure the impact of that.

Mostly the VMs are backward compatible, so unless someone advises of a
specific counter-case
Pharo7.0.0 VM should run Pharo 6 Images.

What is the last VM/Image you saw working on Nix?
You might need to bisect from there.  I'd keep the Image the same while you
move the VM forward.

cheers -ben