[Vm-dev] Fwd: minheadless future (was Re: [OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm] CONTRIBUTING.md: Add some style guidelines (#350))

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Sun Jan 6 14:53:25 UTC 2019

On Sun, 6 Jan 2019 at 18:57, Nicolas Cellier <notifications at github.com>
wrote:

> A side note: the legacy platforms/win32 is using these settings:

Side question: (I've been meaning for a while to ask...)

I've understood the minheadless arrangement aligns with Pharo's vision from
years back
and it seems destined for Pharo 8.  I've been curious what the perspective
is from the Squeak side,
so the use of the term "legacy" here caught my attention.  I know
Squeaker's are more
concerned about backward compatibility and I guess the minheadless requires
significant image changes that might complicate that.  Has it been
discussed by the Squeak Oversight Board?

I've seen Nicolas recently synchronising the minheadless and original
platforms.
Knowing whether everyone is aligned with a future move to minheadless, or
otherwise knowing what concerns there are would help my own approach to
working between the two streams.

For example, for file that are identical between the two,
perhaps its useful to have one be empty except for a #include of the other
??

btw, to familiarise myself better with minheadless I produced and overview
spreadsheet.
Its incomplete and quite busy, but perhaps of use to others. Feel free to
update it as you see fit...
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HnHzPPM0-OBF7oJt49YIrTCMqwfq7ggdMHQcVwQHOTU/edit?usp=sharing

cheers -ben