[Vm-dev] Squeak for BBC Micro bit?

K K Subbu kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 05:50:59 UTC 2019

Hi,

Has anyone in this group tried out BBC's micro:bit board[1]? The board
was released around 2016 targeted at seventh graders - the same target
audience as the original Squeak and Etoys team.

[1] https://microbit.org/

What I like about the board is its out of the box readiness for
programming - It has two push buttons, 5x5 LED array, an accelerometer,
magnetometer and BT and USB chip on board and boots to a Micro Python
REPL shell. It powers up just from a pair of AAA batteries (included).
No need to muck around with toolchains. Just connect, power up and start
programming.

The board allows direct, live programming in the spirit of Morphic and
Logo turtle. I wonder if anyone has tried a squeeze a Squeak VM
(pipsqueak?) into this board? or tried to control the board from Squeak?

Regards .. Subbu