[Vm-dev] Linux Squeak VM X11 keyboard changes?

K K Subbu kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Mon May 27 06:01:59 UTC 2019

On 27/05/19 10:11 AM, K K Subbu wrote:

>   * start the image with good vm (first round) and bad vm (second round)
>   * press skip
>   * world menu -> workspace. Type 3+4
>   * Type dispatchOnKey in search bar
>   * In the method pane of the result, type "self halt" just above
> "backspace ...."
>   * right click -> accept
>   * select workspace and press Ctrl-p. This will throw a Halt dialog
>   * select debug and click on dispatchOnKeyboardEvent (one level below)
>   * right click on aKeyboardEvent in variable pane and select explore.
>   * expand "buttons" slot to get the modifier bits.

I found a better way:

* In the workspace, type "Object setHaltOnce" in another line.
* In the method pane of the result, type "aKeyboardEvent inspectOnce"
just above backspace.
* right click -> accept.
* select workspace, right click just after 'setHaltOnce' and then 'doit'
* click just after '3+4' and press Ctrl-p. This will bring up an
inspector. Click on 'explore' to get to the buttons.

Grabbing the inspector just once will allow us to inspect Ctrl-p key
while letting all subsequent keys through, without having to revert the
change. We just have to remember to arm the counter before trying to
inspect next keystroke.

Regards .. Subbu