[Vm-dev] Slang definition?

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 18:05:22 UTC 2019

Hi Laurent,

On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 11:45 PM Laurent Julliard <laurent at moldus.org>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Thank you for your answers. yes I read the
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/slang page but suspected that may be
> changes had been made to Slang over time. Whic Eliot confirmed.
>
> Actually I'm not thinking of using Slang directly. I'm on a personal
> project right to write a VM in Web Assembly to run Ruby. And rather than
> writing the VM in WebAssembly directly i'd rather write it in Rlang
> (equivalent of Slang for Ruby) and transpile to WebAssembly (WAT format).
>
> So I'm trying to understand all the features that you had to support in
> Slang to make writing a VM possible/easier.

It's a lot more than just Slang, although something like Sang is an
essential enabler; necessary but not sufficient :-).  The best overview we
have for our development process is here, in the 2018 section of
https://squeak.org/research/.

Eliot Miranda, Clément Béra, Elisa Gonzalez Boix, and Dan Ingalls. “Two
Decades of Smalltalk VM Development: Live VM Development Through Simulation
Tools.” In Proceedings of the 10th ACM SIGPLAN International Workshop on
Virtual Machines and Intermediate Languages, 57–66. VMIL 2018. New York,
NY, USA: ACM, 2018. http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/3281287.3281295. [BibTeX]

Does that help ?

yes.  I hope that the paper above helps.  LMK...

--
best, Eliot