[Vm-dev] Off-topic: Intel Core i9-9880H vs. Xeon E-2276M

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Tue Sep 24 14:39:09 UTC 2019

On Tue, 24 Sep 2019 at 21:12, Alistair Grant <akgrant0710 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ben,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I'd always assumed that Xeon's were faster because they had a
> different internal architecture to the Core range.

No, that would cost more.  The distinction between Xeon/i9/i7/i5
is simply how well they test after manufacture.

Xeons were premium because there had to be less manufacturing errors to end
up with larger caches.
But your i9 there has a larger cache, so maybe that quality dimension has
shifted.
This is interesting reading...
https://www.quora.com/How-does-Intel-design-and-produce-so-many-models-of-CPUs/answer/Jacob-VanWagoner?share=1&srid=tpqN

cheers -ben