[Vm-dev] [OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm] Solaris (#479)

K K Subbu kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 04:04:42 UTC 2020

On 05/04/20 6:14 PM, stes wrote:
> build.linux32x86/squeak.cog.spur/build
> OPT="-g -O2 -DNDEBUG -DDEBUGVM=0"

Production builds should be using -O and not "-g -Ox" option. I don't
know why the -g flag was turned on for production builds. It is probably
a left over from an experiment.

On Solaris, you could try using -O in place of -O2 and let the compiler
choose the best optimization level. The level should be overridden only
when the default level triggers a defect in the compiler.

Eliot, I just discovered that the 5.x releases were compiled this way.
Is this an oversight or a deliberate choice?

HTH .. Subbu