[Vm-dev] [OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm] Solaris (#479)

K K Subbu kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 06:00:51 UTC 2020

On 06/04/20 10:24 AM, Tobias Pape wrote:
>> Production builds should be using -O and not "-g -Ox" option.
>
> Why? Really. It rather depends on the compiler, no? With gcc and
> clang, -g+-O is actually a good idea, especially if you use
> "external" debug symbols like dwarf directories...

Yes, debug options are compiler dependent to balance between speed
optimization and ease of debugging. For instance, gcc recommends:

----https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Debugging-Options.html
If you are not using some other optimization option, consider using -Og
(see Optimize Options) with -g. With no -O option at all, some compiler
passes that collect information useful for debugging do not run at all,
so that -Og may result in a better debugging experience.
----

I would expect alpha and possibly beta to use debug but RC or release
versions to optimize aggressively for speed. Debug builds may be
instrumented for bounds check, initialized alloc, leak checks, overflow
checks etc. These could slow down squeak vm.

Regards .. Subbu