[Vm-dev] How to create headless VM without some primitives?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Apr 14 02:42:53 UTC 2020

A couple of other points that might be worth discussing for this sort of usage

a) it's way past time we stopped opening a windows when it isn't needed. No window should be created until and unless the system actually writes to the display and calls for a display update. This would enable image-controlled headlessness. RISC OS was able to cope with it 25 years ago.

b) containers. At least, so far as the currently very limited understanding of containers that I have suggests. AIUI you can make a bundle that behaves as a (nearly) separate machine and do permissions stuff to sandbox it. I'm having a bit of a hard time making much detail sense of it but I'm sure someone hereabouts can explain if in words of one syllable or less.

tim
The halfway point between right and wrong is still damn wrong. Compromise isn't always a solution