[Vm-dev] How to create headless VM without some primitives?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Apr 14 16:59:05 UTC 2020

> On 2020-04-13, at 10:45 PM, Erik Stel <erik.stel at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> a) Indeed this could be something for the VM to decide. When 'deploying' the
> VM I would like it to be as small as possible as well. So if leaving out
> (unnecessary) code is possible, I'm happy to do that. Although I'm not
> planning to wrangle out every little byte to safe space.

It probably isn't worth putting much effort into saving space on the VM code since it is what, 1-2MB? Compare that to a likely 50-100MB for an image with Seaside etc. In the far distant past we used to have to worry about out image sizes but these days they're not really much bigger than the other kind of image that our cellphone cameras produce!

> b) True as well. But that would probably also prevent the VM itself to
> read/write to the filesystem which is not what I want. I might (at some
> point) include a plugin which does some very specific file I/O. At least for
> logging purposes. But this is not decided yet.

I'm really not up to speed with containers stuff but I'm pretty sure you can configure being able to write to (some) parts of the filing system of your choice.  Anyone out there with better knowledge of this stuff should please chime in, pointers to *good* explanations, tutorials, manuals, doc all appreciated. Googling gets far too much dross these days unless you already know a fair bit.

tim
Original Sin is hard to find, but the digitally enhanced version is readily available.