[Vm-dev] Unexpected external library dependencies on linux

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Apr 16 21:42:22 UTC 2020

On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 06:53:51PM +0200, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I tried to upgrade a VM on a server, and found that recently built VMs on
> bintray have extra dependencies.
> The original VM from 2019 (sqlinux.2019030800022) depends on the following
> according to ldd:
>
> linux-vdso.so.1
> libdl.so.2
> libm.so.6
> libpthread.so.0
> libc.so.6
> /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
>
> All dependencies are available on the server.
> However, recent VMs (202003050026 from March, 202004160240 from April)
> also depend on the following:
>
> libuuid.so.1
> libutil.so.1
> libpulse-simple.so.0
> libasound.so.2
>
> The last two are the most worrying as servers usually don't need or have
> sound installed. So, without pulseaudio installed, these VMs won't start.
> Does anyone know how and why those new dependencies got there?
>
> (These are the dependencies of the VM binary itself not dependencies of
> external plugins).

Hi Levente,

I don't know the answer to your question, but the sound dependencies are
likely associated with the VM plugin modules vm-sound-*.so as opposed to
any of the conventional VM plugins such as UUIDPlugin.so. It is quite
likely that specifying the -vm-sound-null parameter to the VM will bypass
any problems. Otherwise, deleting the offending vm-sound-* modules should
be harmless.