[Vm-dev] [ANN] SqueakJS 1.0

Craig Latta craig at blackpagedigital.com
Tue Dec 22 19:50:11 UTC 2020

Hi Eliot--

 > We have at least four different Squeak vm efforts.

      I think JS is a significant platform which, for now, doesn't fit
the concept of platform, execution artifact, and how that artifact is
built that we use with the other platforms. (I'm keen to make things
converge a bit with WebAssembly.) It's a worthy additional front, even
though the other fronts are understaffed. And JS is significant for both
the reach it gives our applications, and the large audience of
developers we can interest in JS/Smalltalk hybrids.

 > We have an effort crisis with the execution machinery. You are asking
 > for help. I am asking for help... Little mutual support.

      What additional mutual support do you think there could be?

 > Little community involvement.

      I can't let that pass without noting that I'm involved and
enthusiastic. :)

 > Nothing new, but I do find this a serious problem. Thank you for
 > tolerating my gloom in this holiday season.

      It's okay, let's turn that gloom into a plan!

-C

--
Craig Latta :: research computer scientist
Black Page Digital :: Berkeley, California