[Vm-dev] Squeak Oversight Board Election 2020

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Jan 9 02:07:16 UTC 2020

On Mon, Jan 06, 2020 at 12:14:59PM -0500, Ron Teitelbaum wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> It's that time again. Time to raise your voices and elect your
> leaders! Can you believe it's been a year already?
>
> It's a time for you to stand up, help your community and volunteer to serve!

I am running for the Squeak Oversight Board this year.

I am a hobby programmer who has participated in the Squeak community
for quite a few years on a strictly amateur basis. In my professional
life, I have done technology management, supervisory roles, and a range
of system integration and specialty programming project work. For Squeak,
I have done a few interesting projects such as OSProcess and TZ-Olson
(see SqueakMap package loader) and some VM support work.

I have grown rather fond of Squeak over the years, and I am committed
both to preserving its heritage and to advancing its ongoing development.

My most recent contribution to Squeak was the UTC time enhancements
that are now in Squeak 5.3, and I hope to make more contributions in
the future. But more importantly, I want to encourage and support the
amazingly great new work that I see coming from university students
(esp. HPI), the mind-bending internet and JS work coming from Craig
and Bert and others, and the cutting edge VM development coming from
Eliot's growing base of oscog developers. I view it as a critical
technology management problem to make sure that Squeak continues to
be an open, effective, and respected platform for advancing these
complementary goals.

Last but definitely not least, I want Squeak to provide great support
for art and education, including music, graphics, and projects such
as Etoys and Scratch.